What is an entrepreneur? An entrepreneur is a person who organizes and operates a business. In todays generation, young entrepreneurs are growing by the minute. I love to call young girls who own and manage their own brand “girl bosses.” A girl boss, according to Ameenha Lee, is a girl of any age that is changing the future by owning her own brand and business. A young girl boss is special because your knowledge about budgeting, marketing your brand, and being confident is instilled in you at a young age. On the other hand, being a young girl boss can be hard. Being a young girl bosses results in stress, balancing out school and a business, and trying to not stay up all night focused about your business. Being a young boss at the end pays off.
I had the pleasure to interview Kayla Tilton. She is a young entrepreneur who operates her own online boutique at only thirteen years old. Tilton’s online boutique is called, “Kay Kay’s Room.” Kayla’s inspiration to start Kay Kay’s Room was inspired by her wanting to create affordable fashion on a budget. “I wanted to do something different. I always hear my mom talking about staying on budget, and our community needing economic growth, so I figured I would find a way for others like myself to get the things they want while on their budget and make a difference in my community,” Kayla Tilton.
1. What was your inspiration to become a young entrepreneur at such a young age?
” I don’t have one answer different things inspired me to start Kay Kay’s Room . I am not very popular in school because I like different things, so I thought I can’t be the only one so I figured I would open a store with the things I like. I don’t wish to follow trends but to create my own.”
2.Who is your inspiration? If you have an inspiration, who are they and why do they inspire you?
” My mom and dad. I have been around people with their own businesses my whole life. Grandparents, parents, and uncles all own their own businesses. So I guess it’s in my blood, lol. Their results is what inspire me that look of acceptance they get after they achieve something, that’s motivation and inspiration.”
3. Do you feel that Kay Kay’s Room will change the world? ” Kay Kay’s Room may change up a few outfits, hair accessories and gadgets but change the world I can honestly say I don’t think so,lol.”
4.Where do you see yourself in the future as yourself and Kay Kay’s Room? ” I do see Kay Kay’s Room expanding and I set it up that way because I want my business to grow. So I myself see me growing; the knowledge learning from mistakes and reading to obtain knowledge in all in trying to expand Kay Kay’s Room.”
5. What have you learned becoming a girl boss? ” I’m more like a girl boss in training,lol. I learned that it’s hard and a lot of work and my mom and dad don’t take it easy on me,lol. After my homework I pull orders and package them, write thank you card and all of that . Then keeping up with changing the website, man it’s a lot. If you went to the web site the first week and visit it now you would see changes already, because I didn’t like how something look or whatever. But I learned that it is very hard. trying to be a boss, that’s why I say #girlbossintraining”
6. What tips would you give to young girls that want to start their own business? ” don’t do what others are doing, create your own way. Be you and remember it will be a challenge and you will cry, because you are young and trying to get into a world that’s filled with grown ups with more knowledge and experience. So yeah remember it will be hard but if it’s what you want to do go for it.”
7. Do you feel that you can be an inspiration to young girls? “hmm, I don’t know,I don’t think I have been doing this long enough yet to inspire anyone. I mean if I happen to inspire someone that’s awesome. I guess I feel have so much to learn still but hey if I inspire someone along my journey with Kay Kay’s Room, I am very happy.